There are lots of people in the whole world who totally rely on Microsoft Outlook for their work such as keeping notes, managing emails, scheduling tasks etc and much more because Microsoft Outlook has the ability to store all the above information in the single file which is known as PST or Personal Storage Table file.
PST files stay in C drive by default which saves all the calendar items which you create, emails you receive or send, a task that you schedule, organize calendar etc. and any kind of damage or corruption occur to PST file, it results in loss of data.
Reasons for PST file corruption
Corruption of PST file is very much heartbreaking and becomes more when you face problem in accessing or opening Microsoft Outlook. This shows that your PST file has been corrupted and corruption occurs because of many reasons such as:
- There are various reasons for corruption but the most common for corruption is due to closing the Microsoft Outlook in an abnormally way and when it is in a state of processing unsaved data to a PST file. This can happen due to a sudden shutdown of the system or sometimes due to power failure.
- Corruption occurs due to over sizing of the PST file. Because Microsoft Outlook 2007 & 2010 supports large file sizes such as 20 to 50 GB but it becomes necessary to keep your PST file in a controlled size which should be in between 2 to 10 GB in size.
- Some other main reason is due to virus infection which makes the PST file inaccessible.
- Your PST file corrupts due to OS gets reinstalled or OS get upgraded which make PST file corrupt or inaccessible.
- PST file gets corrupted because Microsoft Office Outlook gets upgraded.
Solution to Repair PST file
Once the PST file gets corrupted, repair is the only option to access and restore the data which is stored in it. There is a possibility to repair corrupted PST file with the help of “scanpst.exe” which comes with Microsoft Office. But “scanpst.exe” has the ability to repair minor corruption in a PST file but very rare in severe PST corruption.
However if the “Inbox Repair Tool” does not fix your corrupt PST file, then you require a professional repair tool to repair the corruption. So it’s better to use Outlook PST Repair Tool which is powerful software that repairs corrupted PST file and also OST file. It scans the corrupt PST file thoroughly and repairs a healthy PST file and it is easy to use.
Ways to repair the PST file using Software
- Download first and then install Outlook PST Repair software
- After closing Microsoft outlook completely, start Outlook PST Repair.
- Then you can find three options on the main window, you have to select any one:
- Open PST file: Choose this option if know the PST file location
- Find PST file: Choose this option to find the PST file location
- Select Outlook profile: Choose this option to open PST file associated with particular Outlook profile.
- Now choose the scanning method which is suitable
- Normal scan: You can choose this method at times of minor PST file corruption
- Smart scan: Choose this method at times of severe PST file corruption and also when you want to recover deleted contacts or emails etc.
- After that choose the destination location to store the new PST file and then hit “Repair” button
- As soon as the repair process is finished, the software displays the repaired files in Outlook style menu and this will also show the total no. of repaired contacts, notes, calendar items, emails etc.
- At last, choose the desired ones and avoid the ones which are not required.
Complete Graphical Tutorial
After running the application a ‘Select Outlook Data File‘ dialog box will appear. If you know the location of PST files then click on the ‘Select Outlook File’ button else click on the ‘Find Outlook File’ button to find the PST file in any volume or drive.
Now search for the drive location from “Look in” from where the PST file can be restored and after that hit on “Look in” button.
The software will find all the PST files in folder and subfolders in the drive. After that, it will display the PST files in “Find Results” section. Now choose PST file that you want to repair and hit on “OK”.
The path of the selected PST file appears on the “Select Outlook Data File (PST)”, click on the ‘Start ‘ button to begin the scanning process.
After the complete scanning process, the window displays the all recoverable mailbox folders on the left side of the window. You can also see the preview of the recoverable emails, journals, contacts, calendars, Tasks etc.
Click on the check box that you want to recover and click on the “Save Recovered File” present in the top of the interface. After it, a dialog box will appear to give the path of the destination folder to save your recover data. Click on “Ok” button.
After this process, a dialog box will appear with the detail of the recover data, “Destination path” and the “Recovered File Size”.
At last, you can see the file has been saved at the desired location.