Are you facing any problem in splitting large size of PST files such as 2 GB or 20 GB files? MS Outlook is used worldwide for storing all your email messages and other items of mailbox in an Outlook data file, which is also known as PST or Personal Storage Table. MS Outlook uses two types of PST files: Unicode PST and ANSI PST. ANSI PST is used by the MS Outlook 2002 or earlier versions of it. File format for these Outlook versions is ANSI and the size limit is 2 GB. It means that more than 2GB of data cannot be stored in ANSI PST FILE. And if the file size exceeds this limit then chances of it getting corrupted increases. For UNICODE PST file also the issue is same. UNICODE PST file is used for MS Outlook 2003 and later versions. And UNICODE is default file format for these versions of MS Outlook. But the file size limitation for UNICODE PST is upto 20 GB and for higher versions like MS Outlook 2013 limit is upto 50 GB.
In UNICODE PST file the corruption chances are very low because of its high file size limit; but on exceeding the size it may become corrupted. And if a PST file gets corrupted then you may lose all your crucial emails, and other items of your mail box, that’s stored in the file. In such unfortunate situations corruption of the PST file can be avoided by splitting it into several small sizes. Or you can also compress it for decreasing its size. But what if the PST file will get corrupted before splitting or compressing. Here’s the way to know how to deal with a corrupt PST file of Microsoft Outlook.
Ways To Split Large PST Files
MS Outlook does not provide any function for splitting or breaking large sized PST file into smaller parts. But this action can be performed using “Archive” and “Import and Export” features of MS Outlook. Apart from this MS Outlook also provides “Move to Folder”. This feature is not useful for splitting large files but it can help in moving some items from one PST to other. For eg; an Outlook email consists of thousand emails and you want to split it into smaller parts. So you can move hundred emails into a PST file that will create a new PST file and same thing can be done with remaining. Therefore by doing this ten PST files will be created. And this function of moving PST files into new PST file is considered to be very safe and effective, but good technical knowledge is needed.
How to move PST file’s items by using “Archive” feature in MS Outlook?
1. Open MS Outlook and select PST file from which you want to move items.
2. Now click on FILE tab. You will see Cleanup Tools box beside Mailbox Cleanup. Click on this box.
3. An option will be shown as “Archive items older than”. Select date from calendar.
4. Now click on Browse. Choose destination for saving file and assign name to it.
5. Press OK.
6. This newly created file can be checked in MS Outlook.
How to move PST file’s items by using “Import and Export” feature in MS Outlook?
1. Open MS Outlook program.
2. Click on File tab and go to Account Setting box and select Account Setting.
3. A dialog box will appear. Click on Data file and click on Add button.
4. Another dialog bow will appear Create or Open Outlook Data file. Select location and type name.
5. Press OK and close account setting window.
6. Again File tab and click Open and select Import.
7. Import and Export dialog will appear. Select any item and click on Next.
8. Then browse and select file name location.
9. New Create Outlook Data File will appear. Password can also be applied to it for added security.
10. A new PST file will be created at the defined location, which can be checked in MS Outlook.
How to move PST file’s items by using “Move to Folders” feature in MS Outlook?
1. Open your MS Outlook program.
2. Click File tab, then New, then Outlook Data File.
3. “New Outlook Data File” dialog box will appear. Select Office Outlook Personal Folder File (.pst) and click on OK.
4. Another dialog box “Create Microsoft Personal Folders” will appear. Type name for new PST file.
5. Select folder you want to move to new PST file. It can be one or more than one PST file.
6. Click on Move to Folder on Edit menu.
7. New dialog box “Move Items” will appear. Then click New.
8. Then enter desired name on the dialog box that will appear.
9. Under the “Select where to place the folder” option click on new PST file. Then press OK.
10. In the “Move Items” dialog box, make sure that new PST file is selected in new folder.
All these methods are useful for splitting an oversized file into smaller parts but a non-technical person may find it difficult or may take lot of time in completing this task. For those people there is another method of overcoming this situation with the help of third party repair tool that is PST File Splitter. This tool can help you in splitting larger files on the go without any problem.
Download, install and run the PDF separator software n Mac. Click on the “Add File” button to add the PDF files which you want to split. The interface of this tool will display your added PDF file.
From the given three different splitting methods select any one by clicking on the blue button. Then modify an output folder to save your output files.
After doing all setting click on the “Start” button to start the splitting process. The status of splitting will show in the “Status” item.